Thursday, January 10, 2013

Return from Malanville Day 2: Underground Homes and Palaces

Now, 6 months after this tripp I realized I never posted this, PART TWO  of my trip to Northern Benin.

So, on the way back to Cotonou with my colleague Scott, we made a few unplanned stops.  When would we get the chance to see an underground village and a traditional "palace" again?  The stops were definitely worth it!

We arrived at the underground "village" first and this sign greeted us.

Translation:

Subterranean Village of Agongointo
- Visit every day from 9am-5pm
- No red clothing, please 
- Only authorized photos allowed
- Do not throw cans, bags. . .
- Please do not smoke at the site
Thank you for keeping the site and the environment  clean.

I was like "No red clothes?" What is this place?!

Later I learned it is currently owned by a family as atype of grounds for ceremonies by was originally created as an underground fort to provide cover and protection for troops.
The entrance to the underground fort.

Down our guide goes. . .
This is the underground entrance.


















The "entrance hall"










Back on the road with our overloaded moto friends
Another detour took us to a palace. Pic of the family tree.
At the entrance were folk chillin.  I think the man in the chair is royalty. 

1 comment: