Saturday, March 22, 2014

Stunning Design: Hotel in Bangkok

So, why on my first trip EVER to Asia am I obsessed with my hotel room?  I just downloaded my pictures from the trip and realized that nearly half of them are from my hotel room.  Is this normal?  To explain away my obsession I offer one reason: design.

It's the same reason why, although the quality is sometimes questionable, I never tire of IKEA.  It's about the design. There's something about well-designed spaces and experiences that make my heart soar and spirit sing.  Below are some touches that particularly delighted me:

 It's kind of hard to see in the picture but the brown boxes are lined up in a drawer.  I just pulled the drawer out for the photo shoot.  In the drawer are anything a (sometimes forgetful) traveller might need (hairbrush, shower cap, dental kit, quality lotion, mouthwash, etc).  In a similar drawer in the desk near the bed there are office supplies including scissors, tape, post-its.  Yes, THIS really makes my heart soar.  They thought of me!!
Perfectly-sized, lit closet with
perfect storage space for luggage.

Mini-bar with FREE soda and abundant water and well-priced snacks.
Glasses, tea cups and and even coaster neatly tucked away.

Yup, that's my name:)

Cookies and exotic fruits awaited me when I arrived.
The cookies didn't last long enough for the picture.  

Lovely fragrant flowers. I even saved the flowers
 from room service deliveries to decorate my end table:)

Papaya salad feast with coconut water.
 Delish!

Japanese crane complete with instructions and
extra paper to make my own. How thoughtful!
There's truly something about brillant design that makes my heart soar and spirit sing.  I love to see an object or arrangement and know that someone somewhere really deeply thought about me, the end-user of the product or experience.  Before I even knew I'd step foot into their hotel someone put themselves in my shoes and was like "Yes, if I were a hotel resident would love to see my name on a TV screen when I walk in the room.  So be it." So many thoughtful touches including and beyond those mentioned about I experienced. There is something quite divine and downright caring about excellent design.  

You know, perhaps that's it. It's not just physical by kind of spiritual for me.  One thing that woos and intrigues me in relationship with God is how He is infinitely thoughtful and careful with my life and the lives of all those who indulge in Him.  Often I think about how He goes ahead of me into situations and designs or sets up everything: friends, home, roles to play in community and work (paid and unpaid) to do. He thinks to do stuff I can't even begin to arrange or imagine for myself.  

I'm thankful for and truly inspired by the experience at my hotel in Bangkok. More to come on my experience of the city itself:)

2 comments:

  1. Nice to hear from you, enjoy your stay & lots of pixs, pls

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Its totally acceptable to be obsessed with the hotel room, after all it is where you sleep and rest during your stay there... :)

    -Annalee

    ReplyDelete