Thursday, July 12, 2012

Our stories, GI Jane tactics and Skype

I just got off the" phone" with Carolyn. She is my first friend to ask me point blank "Can you Skype?" AND inspired me to finally try it.

Oh the delights of our conversation!  I could set up a whole another blog on the fabulously stimulating, thought-provoking conversations I have with Carolyn.

So back to the idea of stories.  Because of the experiences of my colleague I believed I wouldn't be able to Skype. With their fast, expensive connection they said their reception was spotty and calls would often be dropped. Since I opted to pay only $60/month as opposed to $150/month and deal with slower speeds, I admit I wasn't so hopeful. . .

God is so good to teach me even in the small things how it's so essential to keep up a "faith-full" perspective and not to not try something fabulous just because it hasn't hasn't worked for others. So I was sitting on the goldmine of Skypin' with family and friends because of a story, albeit true, a coworker told me. Really?  Really.  

Moral of the story: Be careful what stories you believe.

Her story: "I pay $150 month for spotty, unreliable Skype service that only works sometimes. What a bummer."

My story: "My Skype is fabulous, with crystal clear sound and no interrruptions! What a blessing!"

 I am so thankful to God it's working. So what does this mean for you? A Skype date with me;)

So in my fab Skype conversation with Carolyn, we got onto the topic of stories and how the stories we tell ourselves can truly color our experiences. I dare say I am probably among the happiest officers here in Cotonou. But in order to be so, I have been like Rambo with my mental stories.  Generally I tend to like to look on the bright side but I feel that's been under attack with the challenges adjusting to life here and in other folk's perspectives.

So this is my GI Jane strategy:  I wake up every morning to read (I'm in the beginning of Psalms right now) in my little reflection corner.
The prayer and reflection corner
Reading the Amplified version,a full, close translation of many of the shades of meaning in the original Greek and Hebrew, I often reflect on the God and David's dialogues.  His dialogues were songs and his songs were his stories.

It's amazing to read how David's story in just about every Psalm transitions from "Woe is me, everyone and/or everything's against me seeking to take my life" to "Despite it all, You are my God, my Savior, my Love, my hope, strength, and so so so much more.  I trust You."   That's why I love the example God gives me in His relationship with David.  He lived through some really rough stuff but his perspective of God's' greatness and wisdom for any circumstance made all the difference in him moving on and being victorious and joyful in spite of the rough stuff.

And honestly, sometimes our stuff really isn't all that rough but because of the stories we tell ourselves we perceive it as rough.  So my prayer these days is to be very aware of the stories that i'm tellin myself, that they will be based on God's word (in the Bible and through prayer dialogues) and ultimate wisdom on life and living.

Speaking of dialogue, back to the morning refreshing time, prayer dialogue is how the rest of the time usually goes: sharing what's on my mind, the day ahead, thinking about things to be thankful for, hearing from Him new perspectives on all of the above.  Sometimes journaling it, sometimes thinking of a verse related to a topic and searching for it, sometime just looking out the window and mulling it over.  It's such a peaceful time but like putting on armor for the mind and the spirit. 



1 comment:

  1. Reading this was almost a daily devotion in itself. Refreshing! Isn't it great to know that God is always with us? American Express can't touch that fact!

    ReplyDelete