What a great time to live Cotonou!! This week along there were three festivals: Jazz, dance and visual arts. Two days before I left for Accra, Ghana, I went to the jazz concert.
My favorite song that night: Geoffrey Oryema's The Letter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_nW8wwniQ
This song is a social commentary in the form of a letter to the Commander of the Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda, inviting him to the discussion table to face the charges against him for the atrocities committed during the civil war.
I generally love music but I have two absolute favorite types of songs. One type talks about the character of God and/or speaking directly to Him. I love those songs because they are so heartful, expressing such love and emotion towards the One who is truly worthy of all that mushy-gushiness:) An example of that type of song is Hillsong's "I Will Exalt You" and Mary Mary's "You." As I get older the rhythm of music isn't so important as the heart/words.
Back to the concert, my 2nd favorite type of song is social commentary, even talking about hard issues but in such a poignant, reflective way. That is precisely the type of song that Geoffrey Oryema sang. Next stop: Accra!
No comments:
Post a Comment