So it is after 10 and I am listening to my new favorite rap song. I'm not sure I had an old favorite. . .
This is coming from someone who only yesterday asked a cabbie to change from American rap to Ghanaian music in the cab because I was being verbally assaulted by the lyrics. I launched into a conversation with the cab driver who, interestingly, at the beginning of the ride prayed, about why I don't like rap music because the God who we pray to for safety in the cab created us and hard pop rap does anything but celebrate the beauty of God's creation. I had a moment. I get so offended by the spirit behind that kind of music.
So tonight I just finished talking with a dear friend and was thinking about how thankful I am for my life. Even with the occasional challenges and dissappointments, my life is such a gift and I thank God more and more for it. The song I recently heard in Ghana came to mind and I was curious to see the lyrics and see if I could find who it's by.
Here's how I first heard it:
When I first arrived in Ghana, my luggage was delayed for 3 days in Togo. My 3rd day in Ghana I was in the car with the Embassy driver on the way to the airport to retrieve my delayed luggage.
Out of the blue I heard music: "I love my life, I love my life, I love my life. . ." to a fabulous beat. I thought it was from the radio but it was the driver's ringtone. I look at him and said "Wow, what a fabulous ringtone."
I'm in my 4th week in Ghana and that ringtone is still speaking to me. So these are the details:
Singer: Demarco, a Jamaican rapper
(fabulous) Video and lyrics : http://www.muzikspirit.com/lyrics/demarco-i-love-my-life/777#.UUTzIBeeNEI
I've decided this will be a song at my wedding. In the ceremony. With Azonto dancing;)
Enjoy!
What a great song?!?! PB and I just listened. Thanks for sharing, Simone. I can't wait to dance at your wedding, but I'll have to learn Azonto.
ReplyDelete