Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Contaminated:(

Last week the Embassy nurse stopped by the Blessed Brown Estate (my new name for my too-big-house) to do a routine water test.  I kind of like tests and interesting information in general so I was down for it.  When she stopped by she also met Antoine, the gentleman who has been helping keep the Estate in tip-top shape.  Slight digression: Yes, I finally had to hire someone.  As much as I like to clean on the weekends I realized it would take me all weekend, every weekend of non-stop cleaning to just keep my home tidy, not even deep cleaning.  Yes. it's really too big.  Antoine was recommended to me by a coworker and he's been coming 1.5 days a week to clean.  He's deaf and mute so we communicate by writing.  I've also asked him to help out with cleaning veggies that I get from the organic farm every week and help with watering the garden and mowing the lawn.  He's been such a blessing and a delight to have on the Estate.

Ok. Back to the test.  This Monday I got an email from the nurse that my distiller was contaminated with coliform bacteria. And I was just telling myself I need to drink more water.  Glad I didn't turn over that new leaf too quickly!  

I saw the word 'coli" in that word and was like "Wait!! Is that 'coli' as in E coli?!!"  So I did some research and found it kind of is. Kind of.  I would take a picture of my water but my camera doesn't have that strong of a zoom.  So here's pic from online of a coliform colony:

Looks so innocous, doesn't it? It isn't.  It really isn't.

Apparently coliform in excess can lead to E coli infection.  Since I (and my dear, poor 1-month houseguest, Syambra) undoubtedly drank some of the water, I asked the nurse if we should start on some sort of treatment.  She assured us that if we needed treatment it would be clear and that we'd have very uncomfortable symptoms (think traveller's diarrhea: nausea, cramps, quality time in the restroom, etc.).  I am so thankful to God neither of us have any symptoms.  She said we should just stop drinking the water until the distiller is cleaned, the water retested and declared coliform-free. Meanwhile, they provided us with some bottled water to tide us over.  Uncle Sam and Papa God takes such good care of us even in our contaminated state. 

Fun fact: We all are contaminated.  The average healthy person has coliform in their system.  It occurs naturally in feces.  It shows up in water where there isn't enough vigilance in water treatment, hygiene, handwashing, etc. Sickness happens comes when the balance is thrown off and there is too much coliform in the system.  

So, it was a bit disconcerting but not as bad as it could be.  It bears repeating: I really thank God for my health thus far even though I've been contaminated:)

1 comment: