Monday, June 18, 2012

I'm driving in Africa!!



I have at least 4 posts I've been meaning to write but have been well occupied since my car and the rest of my household goods arrived last week Thursday. 

All of my possessions (besides the furniture I put in storage) fit on this truck in 3 wooden crates.  Many of you played a huge role in helping me to organized my stuff in preparation for the move.  For that I am so appreciative!! So voila, here is the end of the moving story, at least the part that ends in Benin. In this pic, the shipping team is breaking open the crates for me to verify that it's indeed my stuff.

Yes. I said "Car!" in the 1st paragraph. It was a bitter sweet moment when it arrived. I was so happy to be able to roam freely about the city but I was also a bit daunted at the idea of driving, learning the largely nameless roads and avoiding accidents in a place where traffic lights and stops signs are few and far between.

Since I've been working two jobs: USAID and setting up house. Home is just about done and I am so thankful. It's ready for you:)

Driving in Benin has been quite an experience! It is probably the biggest thing I was concerned about. Worms? Not a worry. Malaria, parasites, and lack of tofu didn't concern me. It was hitting the road full of motos ("zems") that was the most concerning for me. God is so good and has not only helped me feel confident in braving the city but I kind of like it!!

It's quite a large city for driving, as I mentioned, there are no street names. I've gotten lost a few times but it's part of the learning.
Back to the other part of the shipment.  Here are some views of all of the paper used to pack my stuff.  I am happy to report even the most delicate china made it across the ocean unaffected. Only a small forest was sacrificed for the cause:( This is about 1/2 of the paper that we used.  Pics of the moving men? Didn't think to take them.  The number of boxes?  Didn't cross my mind. . .but the paper?  That fascinated me, and apparently Syambra as well.  


 Another view of the paper and my June roommate. I was wondering how they were going to transport all of that paper.  The day after the move two gentlemen from the embassy came over to help me open boxes and start taking papers away.
 Glad I didn't have to transport my stuff like this. . .that might be for another move. This is a very very common sight in Cotonou.  Akin to suprising things one sees on motos, it never ceases to amaze me how  a small car can carry a load equal to it's size and seemingly just as heavy.


I realize I never took a pic of my car.  Most of you have seen it.  It's a black Honda CRV. I'll take a pic of it at some point.

How can I describe driving in Cotonou? Probably a cross between bumper cars, playing a video game with a lot of moving parts and a ballet. I can count on one hand the number of traffic lights I have passed in the past 4 days. "So what happens at intersections?" inquiring minds might want to know. It's quite lovely and amazing!! There are many near hits and misses and a sort of "knowing" that hovers over the intersection. Rarely does one come to a full stop. You just keep easing into the intersection until cross traffic slows down enough for you to go by. I've never missed stop signs so much:) God bless the one and their children's children who invented those signs. I've realized that while initially I was wary of zems, they are actually my best friends when I come to an intersection. Usually a few seconds after getting to an intersection I am flanked by zems that know much better than me when to chance crossing and I just cross along with them.

There is truly safety in numbers!

Pray for me as I joy ride around Benin!
I was chillin' in Francine's backseat this time.
Just so you have an idea of traffic, motos, cars, etc.

Updates to this post:  Below is a pic of me with a zemi-john friend in the background.  One day I'll get a good shot of true moto traffic.  It's amazing.




5 comments:

  1. Welcome to first world driving:) Sid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Simone! You are so brave! I am reading all your blog posts right now. :-) We miss you! Rich Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you so much Simone! I prayed for your driving experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Your prayer are much appreciated and God has been such a Protector!! I'm believing Him for an accident-free driving record in beautiful Benin:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am convinced that you should put this entire experience in book form. I feel as though I am right there!

    ReplyDelete