Saturday, June 2, 2012

Folk I Like: 2nd edition


Life is quite ironic.  The picture above is probably one of my favorite pictures of life here in Benin because there are so many stories, circumstances and emotions that surround it. 

Where do I start?

On the far left is someone you may recognize.  That's Noemy, one of my favorite people here in Benin.  We share a love for design, cooking, tea, gardening and life in general.  It's been a pleasure getting to know here and she has been such a blessing, encouragement and inspiration to me.  Next to her is her husband, Kevin, the USAID Mission Director.  He is my official supervisor and a great guy all around.  Among other things, he strikes a great balance between being professional, demanding, visionary and patient.   He's been in the role of my USAID mentor.  Skipping over yours truly and the spectacled gentleman, on the far right is Cynthia.  She is my education team lead.  She's originally from Canada but has lived in Benin for about 14 years.   She has a very dynamic personality and it's been a pleasure getting to know her. Knowing that the relationship with my team leader is so key as this is the person I spend the time with and learn from, I prayed for her and our relationship before I arrive and still continte to pray about it.  God is so faithful to guide and answer prayers and I'm so happy a mutual respect had devloped between us.  I have been learning a lot. The spectacled gentleman is Zane, her husband.  He is originally from Chad and own an IT company. Cooking is to me as IT is to him.  He is also a very delightful person. I've had thee pleasure of having lunch with Cynthia and Zane a few times at their house which is right around the corner from our office. 

 Introductions aside, I'll move on to context.  I am so glad I thought to take this photo.  It was about 10 and the end of a long evening of chatting, laughing and good eating at Noemy and Kevin's home.  We were about to leave and I was like "Wait, I may never get a picture of this assortment of people again."  We were at a suprise bon voyage party that Kevin and Noemy threw for Cynthia. 

Yes, Cynthia. 

The education team (my very own team) leader is leaving in July.  And Kevin and Noemy will be on home leave and travel from today for next 3 months.

By the time Noemy and Kevin return, Cynthia will have gone to Afghanistan.  I am still seeking wisdom on how best to glean from her the knowledge she's gained over the years working with USAID and in education in Benin overall.  I think back to my time at the US Department of Eudcation where I learned the vital skill of "managing up."  It involved knowing the skills, resources and talents your team leader or director has, recognizing your personal goals, and working with the leader to move towards that goals.  I have 2 months.  I need to get into serious managing up mode as Cynthia prepares to hop the plane.

Just wanted to share a pic of the people who have immense influence in my life here in Benin and who I , in turn, have the opportunity to influence.

In this picture is Pierre, one of three members of my BESST (Basic Education and Social Services) te
Pierre and Marlene
am.  He works most with the girl's education and out-of-school youth programs. Next to him is Marlene who works in the financial office.
Cutting and serving birthday cake













Below are three of my favorite people at mission: Jackie who loves taking field trips with me and exploring the city, Francine, always ready with God's wisdom and a beautiful smile, and Lucrece who is so patient in teaching me Fon.


Senegal-style tchep

Deliciousness.  I need to find out what this is.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like congrats is the order, between your drive and prayer success is forthcoming. By the do have phone yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm not sure I'm getting a phone. I tried to set up MajicJack but it's not quite working. . .btw, who is this:)

    ReplyDelete