On Friday night I was looking forward to going to see the much-acclaimed (at least in my mind) play called Jazz Up. Many folk I knew were involved in it. Sveta's students were playing in it, the Embassy nurse, Carole's, husband wrote and directed it and another Embassy staff person help to direct it.
But then the rains came. They were quite impressive. I would have taken a picture of it but it was night time. Being the troopers we are, Sveta, Meggy and I went fully expecting them to go on with the show. When we arrived we saw the show was cancelled. So what do ladies all dressed up do? they change the plan so the effort to look nice doesn't go to waste:)
 |
| Looking at the lovely menu. Kate, you would have loved it! |
We went to the only Russian restaurant in town, Rousska Dom ("The Russian House") for my 1st Russian restaurant experience. Who knew I would have a chance to try Russian in Benin?!
I asked for the most traditional dish on the menu so they gave me Pilmenie. They were very much like Chinese dumplings (I thought of you, Linda:) but had extra kick to it because they put in some type of spiced beef. It was delicious!! I ate it with sour cream and tomoto sauce. It's usually served with either or. The food and conversation was great. Meggy speaks fluent Russian and French (still working on her English). She's my new language inspiration. Oh to be young and able to learn languages in a snap.
 |
| Meggy's food. A mix of mushrooms, beef and rice. |
 |
| Les belles dames: Mother and daughter |
 |
| Sveta and her salad. |
 |
| Us, full and happy. Note the empty plates. |
 |
| Me and one of my new favorite people. Also a hardcore UNO player. |
The restaurant was lovely, all in my fave decorating colors: red and white. Very Russian and a great way to spend the evening.
Aah, sound like a lovely evening. Nothing like good food and even better company. I'm loving this blog. You look fantastic!
ReplyDeleteBtw, its me Stacie :o)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for reading, Stacie!! I always get excited when I see comments and it was a delight to see yours. Please let me know if there's any aspect of lif ein Benin you'd like to see in particular. I'd love to do investigative reporting:) hugs!
ReplyDelete