The event started at around 9pm and continued until about 6am. We couldn't hang that long so we left @3am. A huge "THANK YOU!" to my USAID colleague Laurent who invited me! I, in turn, invited Francine. I am thankful that I did because Laurent hung even less than we did and left around midnight!
To the right was a quick photo of Laurent about to boogie and Francine's hands taking pics.
At that point in the event, pretty early on, an artist led worship who, by the crowd's response was a favorite. Then a fantastic beat came on and Laurent jumped up. He's just warming up in this pic. I didn't catch him boogie-ing because I was too busy boogie-ing myself! I tried to post a video but it's not working:(
Backtracking a bit, we arrived around 7:30, a full hour and half before everything started. It seem Laurent is quite connected because he was able to get us VIP seats right behind leadership teams from different churches and ministers from local government. From what I gather, besides working in administration at AID, he leads a 30-person music group for his church and also plays the drums in the group.
| Choir warm-up (and an usher) while we waited for event to start. |
Overall expressions of worship were very dynamic with much dancing, especially to the traditional rhythms. Francine also points out to me that one of the artists who had spots of powder around her neck and shoulders was actually a voodoo priestess singing Christian music. I was surprised but I'd also heard a lot about how syncretism (mixed belief systems) is a huge challenge among the Beninese. Even when some people embrace Christianity or Islam, traditional voodoo/animist practices are still tightly held. It's like professing to be married to one person and courting another with a contrary set of values. I have to admit her performance was quite bizarre. Even before Francine told me what her spots and her way of dressing meant, her singing and posture struck me as bit odd. The dance movements that she did were very different also. Very snakelike, mimicing the icon of their worship. A few other dancers jumped up on stage and did the exact same movement. I sat, watched and prayed.
I just had an enlightening conversation with Francine about the various styles of dance (at least one exists for each of the 50 or so ethnic groups. Researcher family/friends, feel free to check my facts.) and how it's a huge part of the culture. However, there is much difference in practice/opinion about how to best distinguish between the dances of those who practice animism and those who are Christian. As a former dancer in my church in DC, I really enjoy worship through dance and see dance as such a powerful tool of expression. However, there is often, almost always, meaning behind movement so this is something I'm sensitive to when I dance and when watching others. This closely relates to my prayer concerning the Christian community in Benin that Christians will be passionately pure disciples of Christ unhindered by traditional practices that are contrary to relationship with Christ and fruitful life overall. In recent conversations the importance of discernment keeps coming up. When I was in the U.S., discernment and God's wisdom in action was so vital to making wise decisions about family, job, relationships, and how to react in various situations.
Here in Benin receiving and using God's wisdom takes on a whole new meaning. Please pray for my discernment in navigating situations that will pop up so that I will not unknowingly participate in the stuff. My discernment really needs to go to a whole 'nother level and I trust God will provide and guide me in that.
| "God, my country and me" The sign behind the choir. |
| Francine hiding behind our snazzy VIP invitation. |
| Me contemplating what HUGE crowd it is. |
| Noemy buying plants from a woman and her cuties right down the street from my house. |
It was a delightful enlighteninng Sunday and Monday!
No comments:
Post a Comment