Over the course of the past lessons I become more and more convinced that gardening is probably one of the best metaphors for life. My
first lesson I learned about the 4 key components of gardening: watering,
weeding, trimming and pest control. All are so applicable to life.
Watering: Nothing
can survive for long without water. The
plants in my garden are beautiful but if they don’t get regular watering,
they’ll suffer a sad demise. In life,
nourishment is so important, not only physically but also spiritually. In the Bible, the Word is often referred to
as water. Water is such an essential
element in life and what God has to say to me is such an important element in
my life, especially during this transition to life in Cotonou. What is He saying these days includes gems like: be brave, you’re not alone, you bring
something special to this place, I am your constant companion. And when there is a good watering, life
flows. There is a tree in my garden that
a mere week ago was nothing but a wishbone: sticks
Look at the progress it has made:
After two waterings (some by me, most by the
early rains of the rainy season), it’s pushed out @6 beautiful green leaves. Though it’s still not as pleasing to the eye
as some of the other plants, I wanted to start recording it’s progress as it
heals and becomes more lovely. I spotted the beauty below in the garden outside of the health unit and recognized the shape of the leaves and branches.
| This is what my wishbone will look like! |
I’ve found that same sort of vigilance is essential in my life, particularly weeding out unhelpful, even detrimental thoughts and activities. Reading the Bible as well as autobiographies and biographies of greats I've noticed a common thread. Even though the greatest leaders make mistakes over the course of their lifetime, all have developed excellent habit sand exercise a great deal of discipline of focus and time that helped them to achieve great success. Vigilance about weeding out the hindrances, barriers and limiting forces or people plays a huge a role in that success.
I need to go finish doing my hair so I decided to do this in two (or perhaps three). I will talk about trimming and pest control in upcoming posts.
Sweet dreams!
Wow, 3 posts in a weekend!
ReplyDeleteSimone, ta vie au Benin est si remplie!
Thanks for sharing your gardening experience and you're right: It is a metaphor for life. Art for me is how "watering" applies to my life.
What is neem oil?
Des bises,
Valerie