My supervisor, the education team lead invited me and 3 of our team members and colleagues to her house for lunch. It was a salmon and vegetable dish over noodles and was quite delicious. It seems that most AID and Embassy employees have household employees that may include a cook, housekeeper and gardener. The cook did an excellent job. On our team is an Education Specialist who is Beninois and has been with AID over 10 years and a Women’s Rights Specialist who is a lawyer.
At the time I am writing this post I’ve been here about 5 days and I’ve met or heard about just about everyone. I feel fortunate I’ve also had the opportunity to go to lunch with some Beninois coworkers. Hearing about their experiences and perspective has been so valuable.
My first weekend in Benin was very restful and
productive. I took my 1st
shopping trip, bargained for my first fruits, finished unpacking my suitcases,
and went to a Christian gathering. There
were many highlights that weekend. One major one was dinner at the USAID Benin
Mission Director and his wife’s house. They
invited me and my sponsors over on Saturday night. They are great conversationalists and
hosts. It was among the best meals I’ve
had here. Delectable, unidentified fish
with string beans and mashed potatoes.
Delicious! It was great getting to know the MD and his wife more. I can see he is going to be a fabulous mentor.
No comments:
Post a Comment